- 100 g (4 oz) softened butter
- 100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- 225 g (8 oz) sifted icing sugar
- 2–3tbsp warm water
- Sweets, to decorate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C fan/180°C/gas mark 6. Place fairy cake cases into a 12-hole bun tin, to keep a good even shape as they bake.
2. Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat for 2-3 mins until the mixture is well blended and smooth. Fill each paper case with the mixture.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15–20 minutes until the cakes are well risen and golden brown. Lift the paper cases out of the bun tin and cool the cakes on a wire rack.
4. Put the icing sugar in a bowl and gradually blend in the warm water until you have a fairly stiff icing. Spoon over the top of the cakes and decorate with your choice